[aprssig] APRS on Android

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Tue Jan 25 03:52:35 EST 2011

On 1/24/2011 11:39 PM, Greg D. wrote:

> > Some igates CAN reverse-gate other traffic on a very limited basis, but you
> > have to make arrangements to "whitelist" your call with the igate operator in
> > advance.
> >

> Uh, really?  Never heard of it.
>
> I have a bi-directional iGate running here, intended to support
> bi-directional messaging (e.g. APRS messaging, Winlink, etc.).  I set it up
> initially so that I could experiment with APRS messaging, and, as things
> often do, it sort of became a permanent part of the shack.
>

> So, what am I doing "wrong" that would require someone to "make arrangements"
> with me to get an answer back to their messages?
>
> Greg  KO6TH

NOTHING!    This isn't about MESSAGING -- that happens routinely and
automatically if the RF station involved has been heard recently and locally to
your igate.

The "arrangements" referred to are to forward POSITION reports (i.e. normal
beacons) heard on the Internet data stream from distant locations back to RF
a.k.a. "reverse gating".    For example, one might do this to allow the posits
and status beacons from a local that is out of town on a cross-country trip
(and is hitting igates three states away) to be seen on RF by the stay-at-home
locals.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net