[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 24 21:54:33 EST 2011

> I know that you are a big proponent of APRS
> 'doing more' than just tracking. I sometimes...
> though get the feeling that you'd like to see all
> trackers just 'go away'...

Trackers have great value for vehicles at special events with no ham on
board.  But as far as routine facilitating ham radio communications (the
goal of APRS) they do little to nothing unless they are configured to also
transmit in real time the operating or listening frequency of the ham
operator.  Who, then is also actually listening.

> I do not have a $300-400 Kenwood (or Yaesu) radio
> ... to do messaging and auto-switch-freq when a
> close by signal is detected for voice QSO, etc...

But a 2-way OT2 with GPS or Tinytrack4 with add-on text display can get you
on the 2-way APRS bandwagon for under $100 or so.  Or just add a receiver
with CTCSS 100 to join the net via Voice Alert.

> It appears there is no point in running APRSDroid
> [or other smart phone APRS app] if the only ones
> that can 'see' me are on -IS...

The question that each APRS mobile operator should be asking is what all can
I receive and display about ham radio around me that might be of interest.
If APRS was only about one-way broadcasting of position data, it would be
hard to argue that it was a proper ham radio application.

> and gosh forbid I should be wasting bandwidth
> with my radio setup spewing full NEMA sentences,
> especially since all I can do right now is run
> tracking only.

There is not enough bandwidth in most areas for APRS to be a tracking
system.  The purpose of APRS position reports is simply to inform the APRS
network of the VHF locations of stations as a participant in the RF network.
It is nice to have GPS in case their location changes and to have the new
location updated automatically.

The APRS beacon puts one in the network, gives a location to know where, and
announces the operators availability and frequency for the purpose of
communications.

> Perhaps I will just put my inefficient, bandwidth
> wasting (NMEA) APRS gear away for now...

No, just keep the rate and range down.  If you attach a speaker to your
1-way tracker transceiver with the volume up and set the squelch to CTCSS
100 and include a beacon in your TNC tracker that announces your usual
repeater and voice Alert, then you will be a good 2-way participant in the
APRS net.  Here is the command:

BTEXT >FFF.FFFMHz & V-Alert Eric
UNPROTO APKPC3 VIA WIDE1-1
BEACON EVERY 1
Set your NEMA beacon to once every 3 or 5 minutes

Then what other operators will see when they are near you will be:

+------------+
| K9LGE-9    |
| FFF.FFFMHz |
|  & V-Alert |
|  Eric      |
+------------+

And other than calling CQ every minute on 52, you'll probably find plenty of
people giving you a call when they see you.  Then you can talk about all the
other neat things going on in ham radio.

Bob, WB4aPR

On 01/24/2011 04:27 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>> APRSISCE/32 which currently only supports gating
>> messages for recently heard local stations from
>> -IS to RF.  I do plan to implement filtered
>> additional gating with both burst (per minute) and
>> sustained (per 10 minutes) throttle limits...
> For what purpose? SPAM generator?think it shouls
> Maybe "filtered" is the operative word?
>
> We need to avoid encouraging IGate ego-ops that the local channel needs to
> be spewing out lots of packets from out of area to fill up some quota per
> minute...
> there is perhap
>> Others will have to weigh in on what their
>> preferred IGate software supports as far as
>> additional -IS to RF IGate configurations and imits.
> Though I do see the value in things like:
> * A balloon event or other special event callsign from far away
> * local favorite sons who travel a lot
>
> I'd rather see that energy put into maintaining the local tactical picture
> of everything LOCALLY in HAM RADIO going on.  One shouldn't have to bring
in
> outside QRM to fill the channel.  Within range of almost EVERY digi there
> are these things going on:
>
> 1) APRS mobiles
> 2) APRS WX
> 3) Local Freq Objects (evy 10 min direct)
> 4) Local NETS on the air
> 5) Local Meetings (and topic)
> 6) Planned Hamfest objects
> 7) Special event future objects
> 8) An FM AMSAT in view every hour or so
> 9) The schedule of the next 80 minutes of AMSATS
> 10) Echolink or IRLP links that are up now
> 11) Traffic accidents and slow downs
>
> And many of these should only go one hop. Max. in active areas.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

Eric Lorenz K9LGE
Communications Trailer Coordinator
Disaster Services Technology