[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Mon Jan 24 18:35:07 EST 2011

Dear Bob:

First, let me say I am grateful and appreciative of the work you have
done developing APRS over the years. That being said...

I know that you are a big proponent of APRS 'doing more' than just
tracking. I sometimes though get the feeling that you'd like to see all
trackers just 'go away' and APRS to be used for other things. This part
of APRS is what I can do right now. I do not have a $300-400 Kenwood
radio with all the bells and whistles to do messaging and
auto-switch-freq when a close by signal is detected for voice QSO and
all that. It is neat, but it costs money, which I need to use for other
things right now.

I am starting to get a sense here by some that there is an agenda for
APRS...that unless you can pony up the $, and do it the way some think
it should be done, that you should not play the game. I didn't think
that's what ham radio was about.

It appears there is no point in running APRSDroid if the only ones that
can 'see' me are on -IS, and gosh forbid I should be wasting bandwidth
with my radio setup spewing full NEMA sentences, especially since all I
can do right now is run tracking only.

Perhaps I will just put my inefficient, bandwidth wasting APRS gear away
for now and find something else to do.

Sorry if this seems a bit sour, but it is just the feeling get from some
of the replies I have gotten here.

Eric K9LGE