[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jan 24 18:42:00 EST 2011

* Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> [2011-01-24 23:26]:
> > Others will have to weigh in on what their
> > preferred IGate software supports as far as
> > additional -IS to RF IGate configurations and imits.
[...]
> I'd rather see that energy put into maintaining the local tactical picture
> of everything LOCALLY in HAM RADIO going on.  One shouldn't have to bring in
> outside QRM to fill the channel.  Within range of almost EVERY digi there
> are these things going on:

What about gating local (based on coordinates) traffic from IS to RF? It
should suffice for Erics (and my) purpose to set a range (distance)
filter on what to forward from IS... Of course, throttling should be
enabled to prevent flooding the RF...

IMHO, forwarding nearby objects and station positions which originate in
-IS matches to the goal of having local activity on APRS. And it would
also match the universal messaging idea.

Eric, regarding your connection problem: APRSdroid is set to reconnect
every 30 seconds to the IS server... Just try it out and mail me
off-list if it does not work.

73, Georg DO1GL
--
|| http://op-co.de ++  GCS/CM d-- s: a- C+++ UL+++ !P L+++ E--- W++  ++
|| gpg: 0x962FD2DE ||  N++ o? K- w---() O M V? PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ t+  ||
|| Ge0rG: euIRCnet ||  5 X R(+) tv b+(++) DI+++ D+ G e+++ h- r++ y?  ||