[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 24 17:04:58 EST 2011

On 1/24/2011 1:38 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> I'm not familiar with all of the IGate software out there and can only speak
> for my own APRSISCE/32 which currently only supports gating messages for
> recently heard local stations from -IS to RF.  I do plan to implement
> filtered additional gating with both burst (per minute) and sustained (per 10
> minutes) throttle limits   I'm even considering a per-callsign throttle limit
> per minute so as to limit those stations that mis-configure an APRS-IS-only
> application to beacon every 10 seconds.  The filters will also hopefully
> allow selection of packet types that will be gated, but I haven't really
> gotten down to that detail in my design yet.  But no matter what I end up
> implementing, it would still be up to the IGate operator to specify the
> filter and adjust the limits as s/he sees fit.

The default behavior of UIview and APRSplus is the same as you described --
local messages only in either direction.   UIview has an optional white list to
pass everything from specified stations (callsigns+SSID), but it can only be
manipulated by directly editing a .ini file.  There is no access from the usual
GUI user interface, which tends to discourage casual users from enabling this
feature.

APRSpoint has no igate functionality of any kind at all.  [It can connect to
the APRS-IS to drive the local mapping display, but it won't pass heard-on-RF
packets to the IS.]

The HF PSK-63 APRS Messenger app supports per-callsign throttling per minute
such as you are considering.

The now-dead WinAPRS supports igating (it was the original gateway app for the
APRS-IS decades ago), but I don't know if it even does reverse-gating at all.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====