[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Mon Jan 24 17:07:45 EST 2011

Hi Lynn:

I run under K9LGE-10 on my Droid X.

The only other drawback is since data and phone cannnot run at the same
time, I have to re-enable APRSDroid after I get a call (unless I have
something set incorrectly and it is supposed to do it automatically).
So, when I am on the phone a lot in the car, I won't run it.

(The other was a failed experiment to setup a local fill-in
digi...discovered there *was* another digi in the area so mine didn't
seem to be needed).

A little background...I travel over a lot of the midwest, primarily
between IL and WI and MN. I have been told that because of the amount of
APRS traffic on the network in WI, I probably would have next to no luck
in asking ops to reverse Igate...so I guess I will have to save my
nickels for a better radio-based APRS-solution. My current setup uses a
Kenwood TM-251A fed from a Garmin eTrex via a KPC-3. I would prefer to
have this to use for a digi, or for packet use, but It's all I have
right now. I was trying APRSDroid to avoid having to run both radios in
my van while I am traveling.