[aprssig] APRS on Android (was: OpenAPRS for iPhone 2.3.1 Released)

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Jan 24 12:52:13 EST 2011

Hello Eric,

* Eric Lorenz K9LGE <k9lge at emlorenz.com> [2011-01-24 18:34]:
> Saw the discussion of OpenAPRS and it looks like a great app...but I
> was wondering if there is going to be a version of it released for
> Android? I searched in the Market and didn't find one...? I just
> bought my Droid X and won't have the chance to change phones for
> another year or so...

Just speculating, but porting an app from iOS to Android and back
probably requires a complete rewrite, meaning that a port is not really
feasible.

> Right now using APRSDroid, but it is tracker only, no messaging or
> anything else...and it looks like development is dead on it.

I am not sure how you concluded that APRSdroid is dead. I just recently
released version 0.9 with a map display of nearby stations (working only
when using a TCP connection so far). Depending on the amount of leasure
time, version 1.0 will be published to Android Market sometime in the
next months. Of course, integating all the interesting features is hard
in a one-man off time project...

Messaging is already high on my priority list, but I am not sure if it
will make it into 1.0 or 1.1. If you have other wishes, feel free to
open a ticket in the http://aprsdroid.org/ issues tracker (requires a
github account) or contact me off-list. I am always interested in how
APRSdroid is used and what is most demanded by the people out there.

73 from Germany

Georg DO1GL (author of APRSdroid)
--
|| http://op-co.de ++  GCS/CM d-- s: a- C+++ UL+++ !P L+++ E--- W++  ++
|| gpg: 0x962FD2DE ||  N++ o? K- w---() O M V? PS+ PE-- Y+ PGP++ t+  ||
|| Ge0rG: euIRCnet ||  5 X R(+) tv b+(++) DI+++ D+ G e+++ h- r++ y?  ||