[aprssig] APRS on Android

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Mon Jan 24 13:23:43 EST 2011

Dear Georg:

I do apologize...it has been awhile, and I am not sure at this point
what even gave me that idea. Is 0.9 in the Market now? I know the
version I have now (0.8) I had to dl/install outside of the market, so
it is not tracking for updates...would it be eaisier to just remove 0.8
and re-install 0.9 from the market?

I do like the app, and it seems to work well...just wish more igates and
such ported TCP packets back to local radio...I have several friends in
areas I travel that cannot see me when I am beaconing as they use radio
to monitor local APRS traffic and their local I-gates/digis only port RF
to the internet, not the other way.

Thanks,
Eric K9LGE

On 01/24/2011 11:52 AM, Georg Lukas wrote:
> Hello Eric,
>
> * Eric Lorenz K9LGE<k9lge at emlorenz.com>  [2011-01-24 18:34]:
>> Saw the discussion of OpenAPRS and it looks like a great app...but I
>> was wondering if there is going to be a version of it released for
>> Android? I searched in the Market and didn't find one...? I just
>> bought my Droid X and won't have the chance to change phones for
>> another year or so...
> Just speculating, but porting an app from iOS to Android and back
> probably requires a complete rewrite, meaning that a port is not really
> feasible.
>
>> Right now using APRSDroid, but it is tracker only, no messaging or
>> anything else...and it looks like development is dead on it.
> I am not sure how you concluded that APRSdroid is dead. I just recently
> released version 0.9 with a map display of nearby stations (working only
> when using a TCP connection so far). Depending on the amount of leasure
> time, version 1.0 will be published to Android Market sometime in the
> next months. Of course, integating all the interesting features is hard
> in a one-man off time project...
>
> Messaging is already high on my priority list, but I am not sure if it
> will make it into 1.0 or 1.1. If you have other wishes, feel free to
> open a ticket in the http://aprsdroid.org/ issues tracker (requires a
> github account) or contact me off-list. I am always interested in how
> APRSdroid is used and what is most demanded by the people out there.
>
> 73 from Germany
>
> Georg DO1GL (author of APRSdroid)

Eric Lorenz K9LGE
Communications Trailer Coordinator