[aprssig] OpenAPRS for iPhone 2.3.1 Released

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 22 15:20:35 EST 2011

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> I am not following this thread, so ignore this comment if it is out of
> place, but APRS has two standard net-cycle times.
>
> These are 10 minutes for local DIRECT or special events and
> 30 minutes for regional or less dynamic situations. The APRS spec
> established these standards so that users would have consistent
> expectations. IN other words, 30 minutes of monitoring and  you
> should see EVERTYHING in the situation.
>
> There is one other standard, and that is time-out of 80 minutes. If a station
> has not been heard in 80 minutes (2 retries at the standard 30 minute rate,
> then it is no longer a participating net memeber.

When I said "the object was being sent every hour as expected..." it was
because I bad set the object for a one hour beacon rate. Keep in mind this
is in the OpenAPRS application on an iPhone... i.e. no RF involved unless
someone is gating it to RF.

Looking at the app, it currently allows object rates of "off" (for later use?),
a 30 minute rate, or every 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 12 or 24 hours. It would be more  useful
if it had rates of something like every 10, 20, 40 and 60 minutes. It also has a
setting for a "beacon life" of 4, 8 or 12 hours, as well as 1  day, 1 week, or 1, 6
or 12 months. Perhaps Greg could address the matter of the object beacon rate.

My original comment was that when I gave the object a speed and direction,
the object didn't move.

The app itself allows you to beacon via TCPIP to the APRS-IS using the internal
GPS for the position (yes, it is a real one) or with a manually entered one, and see
everything around you that has made it to an IGate, as well as send and receive
APRS messages. The iPhone of course has maps for everywhere... at least for
anywhere on earth that I looked, including some pretty obscure places. Oh.. and
you can make phone calls on it too!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH