[aprssig] Thd72a power

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 16 15:04:42 EST 2011

Dale has it correct.

Kenwood [generally] designs their HTs as follows  (the F6 was/is an exception as its adapter is quite beefy).

  The external power jack DISCONNECTS the battery from the radio and runs the radio directly, therefore an external supply *MUST* be able to supply the full radio current drain, be it Rx, Rx+TNC, or Tx.
  The external power jack also goes through a CHARGE REGULATOR that charges the battery, from whatever supply is plugged into this jack.  THEREFORE, this external supply must be capable of running the radio *and* charging the battery.

  Kenwood provides an external AC power adapter (a wall wart to some of us) that *only* has enough current capacity to charge the battery.
  Kenwood also supplies a DC adapter for auto use.  It can handle the full current of running the radio...and charging the battery, so it does allow full operation of the radio.

SO...
  The external supply can only supply the current that it can supply.
  If that external supply can supply the required current, you can receive and/or transmit.  If it can not supply the current you ask it to (from the radio) the voltage will drop and the radio may reset; OR the external adapter may blow its fuse; or may blow itself up.

--
 73, Steve, K9DCI   USN (Vet) MOT (Ret) Ham (Yet)