[aprssig] Thd72a power

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Sun Jan 16 13:19:34 EST 2011

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 19:44:12 +1000
"Andrew Rich" <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:

> In fact the manual says do not TX from the volts in when the battery is
> connected
>
> And only charge the battery with the radio OFF
>
> and then a car adaptor from kenwood says it is ok to use and charge the
> battery at the same time.
>
> I am confused
>
> - Andrew -

It actually does make sense.  The wall wart chargers can't provide enough power to tx the radios.  My vx8gr is a great example.  However, when I use 12vdc on my motorcycle, it not only powers the radio to full tx, it charges the battery too.  Handy feature.  I didn't know it would charge the battery while I was riding down the raods, but was happy to discover it on my USA trip.  Once I knew it would charge while in use, I stopped worrying about charging it before going to bed.

GL and 73

--
MJ Inabnit <ke6sls at arrl.net>