[aprssig] AVRS Online

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Jan 14 19:19:41 EST 2011

Just tried it from APRSIS32 as KJ4ERJ-AP.

"?" didn't get an answer.  APRSISCE/32 sends all queries (anything that
starts with a ?) as a non-ack-requested packet.  Hopefully you'll answer
those?

Sending "KJ4ERJ" from KJ4ERJ-AP sent the following:

KJ4ERJ-AP received "CALL KJ4ERJ-1 on 444.700MHz T77.00 IRLP node 4853"

KJ4ERJ-1 received "VOICE CALL from KJ4ERJ-AP, PSE QSY 444.700MHz T77.00"

The problem is that KJ4ERJ-1 is an unattended W1 Digi/Igate.   I'm
usually active on KJ4ERJ-12 or KJ4ERJ-AP.

Also, I have no 70cm capability.  It seems that there needs to be a way
to register acceptable bands for a callsign (which you'd have to
remember) as well as a (set of) preferred SSIDs for AVRS notification.
I'm sure I'm not alone in having multiple unattended -SSID stations as
well as more than one that I might be staffing at any point in time.

So, I send "G6UIM" from KJ4ERJ-AP and AVRS sent:

KJ4ERJ-AP received "CALL G6UIM-12 on 444.700MHz T77.00 IRLP node 4853"

G6UIM-12 received "VOICE CALL from KJ4ERJ-AP, PSE QSY 145.650MHz T94.8"

Interestingly, I was in an APRS messaging QSO from KJ4ERJ-AP to G6UIM
(no -SSDI) at the time.  I have no idea if he has 2m capability, but the
same comment from above applies.

So, in summary, initial questions:

a) Does a ? have to request an ack to be answered?

b) I believe you're going to need a way to register and recall
"preferred" -SSID(s - more than one)) for a callsign.  Or you'll need to
blast the message out to all "recently" heard -SSIDs for the call.

c) You really can't tell what band an APRS message was received over.
And even more interesting, many users use one band for APRS and a
different band for voice.  You either need to send the closest on each
band as options to be chosen or again, support some sort of registration
system that allows one (or more) bands to be assigned to a callsign.

d) The "Total path length" doesn't seem like it matters.  I'd really
like to know my end's distance and maybe an advisory of the other side.
But the total doesn't affect what's usable, only the power, band, and
range of one end or the other.

e) T77.00?  How about formatting the tone as specified in the FreqSpec
documents?  I know it eliminates the decimals, but it's a format that's
been established, is QSY-able on some radios, and we can train ourselves
on what to expect.  Unfortunately, EchoLink (I don't know about IRLP)
doesn't differentiate wide versus narrow band FM so the difference
between a T and a t (case difference) on the tone spec won't matter (yet).

f) I didn't try it, but what happens if I send in a CALLSIGN-SSID?  Does
that skip over the auto-SSID selection and only do the station I
specify?  If so, how would you get the auto-SSID selection to kick in if
I'm running a non-SSID (-0) station that is also unattended?

If you're ready to get hammered with hits, I'll add an AVRS menu option
to the station pop-up menu in APRSISCE/32's next release.  It will send
the base callsign of the selected station (or the entire callsign-ssid)
to AVRS.  If they select AVRS on "Me" (their own station), it will send
a ? query for themselves.