[aprssig] AVRS Online

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 18:09:03 EST 2011

The AVRS responder described at http://aprs.org/avrs.html is online and
running, and all code is current in the SourceForge project.  I'll be adding
usage information this weekend on the SourceForge page, but the bottom line is
pretty easy:
Message "?" to "AVRS" to get a message with the closest EchoLink OR IRLP node
sent back to you, as well as two objects sent to the APRS-IS stream
representing the two closest nodes.
Message CALLSIGN to "AVRS" to initiate a voice-over-Internet link to a distant
station.  AVRS will find the best path (EchoLink or IRLP) and send two
messages:  one to your target, asking them to QSY to the appropriate frequency
and stand by for a QSO with you, and the second message to you telling you to
QSY to your closest node and the node number of the distant node you need to
bring up.
Please give it a try, and email me with any issues or problems.  Right now,
the node selection algo uses a "shortest total path" to determine the best
node, and doesn't differentiate between nodes based on frequency (i.e. if you
ask on the 2m APRS frequency, you may get a 440 node in response).  Total path
length is based on distance from you to the closest node plus the distance
from your target to his closest node.
Target callsign does not need an SSID.  For targets with multiple SSIDs, right
now I'm just grabbing the station with the most recent transmission.   I'm
working on an algorithm to make the selection based on SSID, stations that are
moving, stations that have a history of RF messages, stations that indicate
message-capable based on = or @ in their positions, etc.
I'm also working on the item-in-message format.  Should have that at the end
of the weekend, depending on my football-watching schedule and how exiting the
games are.
Again, the source code for all parsers and AVRS logic is at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/avrs/

Since I've never really used EchoLink or IRLP, and don't have any friends
anywhere else in the world, I'm a little stymied to actually test this.
Please help me.

de AB0OO
John Gorkos