[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Derek Love DLove at app-tech.co.uk
Mon Feb 28 06:10:17 EST 2011

I've been looking at 9600 operation for a while, and it concerns me that
the spectrum efficiency is so poor; with 150ms TxDelays being used to
send a 35ms packet of data seems to be utterly ridiculous. I've been
working on marine AIS systems for nearly 10 years, and while I admit
that its design could be significantly improved, at least it only needs
26ms to send a total of 168bits of data - the Txdelay being essentially
24bits of preamble before the start flag (about 3ms) plus the 8 bits of
PA ramp timing (1ms). Why is there an order of magnitude difference in
the two systems which are otherwise, very similar?

Derek Love, Applied Technology UK
+44 1749 881130