[aprssig] 9600 APRS

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sun Feb 27 20:42:13 EST 2011

Yes, many new rigs are 9k6 ready, but they still have horrendous txdelays.
Kantronics did make a good little dataradio years ago that had something on
the order of 40ms (???) txdelay.    And we can really appreciate 9k6 for
longer TCP type packets... packets >200 bytes.  But for our little onsie
twosie packets of 30 to 50 bytes, it's just not worth the effort.

Moving an aprs digipeater to 440 would be great, 1200 baud sure.  What would
be cool would be to have 144.39 and a 70cm frequency bridged at 1200 so that
it didn't matter which freq you used, you'd see everything on your local
digi on either frequency.  The purpose of this would be to allow mobiles to
run 70cm when they used 2m voice or vice versa.

Skipping right along, on Bob's random text files from years ago, one really
stuck with me.  It was running data output on the input frequency of a
repeater.  This would be prefect for 9k6 distribution of weather products.
Thing is that today many voice repeaters have COR gated PL tone outputs.  So
we could transmit 9k6 on the output of the repeater with no PL tone for
HOURS.  Think of all the time that a given repeater is inactive thru the
day.  Of course once a voice user started on the repeater, the data would
pause.  Now if the voice users run PL tone decoders, they'd never know it
was there!  If they didn't run PL decode, they'd hear quiet static, not
annoying BRAAAAPPPPS.  Now what data would you put on that?

Wes
---
"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
-- B. L. Whorf