[aprssig] APRS in daily use

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 23 17:36:17 EST 2011

On 2/23/2011 9:06 AM, djhuff at rockwellcollins.com wrote:

> 4. Low tech lojack.  I have had to put a portable repeater up for an event,
> so I attached a small tracker to it, to report its known position.  When the
> event was over people asked if it was picked up yet, so I went to the map,
> and looked, since it was still beaconing, it was a reminder that the stuff
> was still there.

Actually APRS is much higher tech than LoJack!

LoJack uses what is essentially a pager receiver to turn on a low-power 171 MHz
transmittter on demand. There is no GPS data transmitted -- just a 1-2 watt
transmitter beaconing a 5 digit unit ID.     The cops are sent on a T-hunt
using a doppler-scan-type DFing antenna.  Inside the car, all they have is a
compass-rose heading display that points to the direction of the signal and a
bar graph relative signal strength display. (If you've seen a police car with
four VHF whips in a square array on the roof, you've seen a LoJack tracker unit.)

No maps showing the exact location of the suspect car.   With an OT-2 and nuvi
350, (not to mention a D700 with a laptop with APRS software) we have FAR more
capability to locate a vehicle.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net