[aprssig] APRS in daily use

djhuff at rockwellcollins.com djhuff at rockwellcollins.com
Wed Feb 23 12:06:23 EST 2011

I have a few other uses, mostly echoing what others have said.
1. Weather, here in tornado alley, the NWS has APRS in most of the
offices.  I have literally been out chasing a tornado for skywarn, and had
the NWS call me on a voice repeater by callsign.  They asked me what I
saw, because they observed me on their map 60 miles away. APRS helps when
you are in rural areas, because all the corn fields start to look the same
at 60 miles per hour.
2. Weather watches, there is a way you can see NWS watches / warnings,
flood warnings, spotter activation statements, and other important stuff,
when the laptop is unavailable, my radio is easy to carry.
3. Event announcements, having someone put a APRS eyeball for the hamfest,
club meeting, or other special event is good.
4. Low tech lojack.  I have had to put a portable repeater up for an
event, so I attached a small tracker to it, to report its known position.
When the event was over people asked if it was picked up yet, so I went to
the map, and looked, since it was still beaconing, it was a reminder that
the stuff was still there.
5. How about tractor rides (http://www.tractorride.com/) or bicycle events
(http://ragbrai.com/) or other similar long tour type events.  When
Ragbrai comes to town, your town of 1000 people swells to 50,000, and cell
service drops. Finding your sag wagon full of clothes after a 50 mile bike
ride might be important. Finding where grandpa is on his old JD Model 4020
can be useful too.

Dave
W0IM