[aprssig] APRS in daily use

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Sun Feb 20 21:51:51 EST 2011

Years ago when there was a tracker in the wife's car, she had left her cell
phone home and I needed to speak to her.  I saw she was pulling up at the
local video rental store.  I called the store and asked the clerk if I could
speak to the woman in the pink sweater about to walk in the door.  She said
he was quite astonished.

Some of the locals used to play "tag" by finding each other' cars in the
parking lots and putting notes on the windshields.

We use the hailing frequency (car tracker on 144.39 w/100hz pl tone) to know
when the other is available to qso.  If I get off work a little later than
usual, kc4pl will be driving home and I'll hear the packet racket on the
left side of the radio and call him on the local repeater.

APRS also good for talkins to hamfests.   If the person is running a blind
transmitter (ie no GPS display), at least the talkin folks can see him and
guide him in on the local repeater.

Wes
---
"Language shapes the way we think, and determines what we can think about."
-- B. L. Whorf