[aprssig] APRS in daily use

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 02:04:31 EST 2011

Weather.  There are numerous weather stations in the area and I like the
near real time reporting of temps and wind speeds.  Broadcast media and
various websites have inherent delays and work on their schedule, not mine.

Of course, during severe weather events the importance of being able to
view this data goes up (we use it in the local EOC, both because of it's
timeliness and as a back up to other sources).

Both of our family cars have D700s and run Voice Alert (all of my family
is licensed).  Handy to know who is where and to say a quick hi during
commutes and errand running.  Especially since, being the OF Fuddy Duddy
that I am, I refuse to use my %$*&# yuppie toy when driving.

Messaging is handy as my wife often turns down the voice side of her
D700 and I can get her to come up by pinging her with a quick message.

Aside from the family, several other folks run APRS trackers here and
it's nice to know when they are active to give them a call for a QSO.

During one of the local weekly ARES nets I transmit a bulletin and post
an object that the net is active.  Have occasionally gotten check-ins
either by APRS message, or by voice by someone that stated they saw the
bulletin/object.

Bottom line, I use it as a tool to enhance situational awareness and
communications with other hams.

Hope this helps

73

Randy KA0AZS