[aprssig] Help with repeater beacon

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Thu Feb 17 09:00:43 EST 2011

Hello John !

On Wed, 16/02/2011 at 20.33 -0500, John Gorkos wrote:
> Bob-
>   This seems broken in the Kenwood implementation.  Basically, I'll have to
> double my transmit rate to get the appropriate information out there.
> Actually, I don't see any way to actually make this work unless I change my
> beacon callsign to "147.15NGA" and send a position packet that looks like
> this:
> 147.15NGA>BEACON,WIDE2-1:111111z3414.21N/08409.60Wr147.150MHz T143 R60m
> NET2000TU Cumming,GA de AB0OO

This is good, because the frequency is in the format FFF.FFFMHz, it
appears exactly at the beginning of the comment/status field and the
tone information follows it immediately. That's it.

All the rest is optional: it does not necessarily need to be from
callsign 147.15NGA, it does not necessarily need to bring the NETxxxxxx
field (that's a Frequency Object thing and won't be understood), it does
not need to bring a timestamp nor a position. The position however is
desirable.

The two functions "APRS Frequency Formats" (also known as AFRS) and
"Frequency Objects" are not part of the APRS Protocol Specification, so
it's somewhat opinable to say that the Kenwood implementation is broken.

They have just implemented some extra functionality and they have called
"QSY Function". From their documentation
(TM-D710_In-Depth-Manual_APRS_EchoLink.pdf ver 1.01 May 2008 at
paragraph 6.1.6), it appears that what they have implemented is in line
with what is specified in "APRS Frequency Formats" (which again is not
part of the protocol specification but it's more like a recommendation
for "future radio compatibility").

And you are not doubling your transmission rate because substantially
the only difference is ten bytes (the FFF.FFFMHz).

So, only if you need to both create a digipeater object (which provides
certain other fields such as NETxxxxxx) and provide "tunable beacons",
then it could be argued that there is some redundancy. But we are
talking about a bunch of bytes and perhaps, if you are so worried about
that, then the object can be transmitted less often (beacon - beacon -
object - beacon - beacon - object - ...) because you made it permanent
(111111z).

Good luck !

73,

Guido IZ6RDB