[aprssig] APRS beginner info

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 18:55:11 EST 2011

--- Pentti Gronlund wrote that:
> Steve Noskowicz writes:
> >  ...here's the direct link...:
>http://k9dci.home.comcast.net/APRS%20Beginner%20Guide%20-%20K9DCI%20Ver%205-1.pdf
>
> Steve,
> Would it be possible to add a footnote in the chapter
> describing the paths?
>
> In many countries, especially in Europe, we use just WIDE2-2 (or even
> just WIDE1-1 if you always stay within a good network). WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
> is plain useless as there are very few stupid digis around here, almost
> none at all.
>
> So it would be good to give some advice about using the path that is
> recommended locally, if you are operating outside U.S.
> 73 de Benjamin OH3BK

Thanks,

  Certainly.  I am more than happy to add more non-US info.  However, if this gets to be significant, then I recommend someone re-write it for non US areas - starting with mine if anyone wishes to.
  I do mention checking locally, but have been thinking I should make that a stronger statement.

  Help me though.  When you say "stupid digis", what do you mean in more formal terms?   Here WIDE1-1 is (supposed to be) used to fill-in poor coverage areas.  Is this to what you refer?  A little more background may help to explain it better for your area.  My primary explanation assumes the use of WIDE1-1 "fill-in" digis.  If this is unusual in some ares a better explanation may be in order.  I want to give a simple message, but with a little more detail that explains a bit more to aid understanding

73, Steve, K9DCI