[aprssig] APRS beginner info

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 21:15:16 EST 2011

On 2/4/2011 3:55 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

>    Help me though.  When you say "stupid digis", what do you mean in more formal terms?   Here WIDE1-1 is (supposed to be) used to fill-in poor coverage areas.  Is this to what you refer?  A little more background may help to explain it better for your area.  My primary explanation assumes the use of WIDE1-1 "fill-in" digis.  If this is unusual in some ares a better explanation may be in order.  I want to give a simple message, but with a little more detail that explains a bit more to aid understanding
>
> 73, Steve, K9DCI

   In this case, I think he is referring to the dumb KPC3-based digis so
prevalent in the US, but uncommon in Europe, that don't do dupe suppression on
"RELAY" and plain "WIDE"     For decades, the European packet networks have
been more sophisticated than most of ours.  For example, many use polled
time-slotted access instead of random CSMA transmission.   Most European digis
use computers (or at least far more modern TNCs) than most of ours in the US,
with far more intelligent dupe supression and routing than ours.

(It was this deficiency in the KPC3 that drove the whole "New Paradigm"
migration to purely WIDEn-N networks, including the kludge of WIDE1-1 for home
station first hops (that I first proposed).

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====