[aprssig] !x!

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Dec 30 12:05:17 EST 2011

On Dec 30, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Thanks for the link.  Since APRSISCE/32 doesn't "archive" then I'm thinking it doesn't apply to me.  Or is it supposed to be "don't archive or display"?

It only applies to internet databases. If your code stores data that is released in response to an internet query (some client programs have had an internet server embedded) then it should be respected, otherwise you can forget you heard about it.

> An interesting conundrum is whether or not the archival sites are expected to remember the !x! from a beacon and suppress recording messages as well, or if it must appear in each and every packet?  And if you're expected to remember it, doesn't that mean that you're archiving some information about station that has requested to not be archived?  Gotta love/hate ambiguities.

It is per packet. Any packet with the tag is ignored, any without it is stored in the database.

That allows individual messages, for example, to be kept out of the database.

Steve K4HG