[aprssig] IS-to-RF alternate proposal - 'marked beacons'

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Dec 29 21:14:55 EST 2011

What range, what rate, and even IF such gating will occur will still be
up to the local IGate operator, just as today the choice to gate or not
gate specific callsigns and at what rate is up to the IGate operators.
Some may choose to gate, others may not.  Some may choose to gate only
those within their calculated no hop RF range, some may choose to gate
the full range of the nearest WIDE2+ digi, some may choose something
else.  And as I believe is universally accepted, the IGate operator will
choose the path(s) under which such gating will occur.

I'm only suggesting that if a gate/nogate preference is agreed to at the
originating station level, that the default (no text) be to gate from
-IS to RF at the discretion of IGate operators and only add text to
those beacons that do NOT want to be -IS to RF gated as they're beacons
will be staying on -IS anyway and it is parallel to the default of RF to
-IS gating unless NOGATE or RFONLY is specified.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobil and Win32