[aprssig] IS-to-RF alternate proposal - 'marked beacons'

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Thu Dec 29 21:08:50 EST 2011

Op 30-12-2011 2:06, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) schreef:
> Why not the same defaults as supported in the reverse direction?  If
> you don't want your RF packets to go to -IS, then you put NOGATE or
> RFONLY in your path.
>
> By extension, if you DON'T want your -IS packets to go to RF, you put
> something in your comment, say maybe "NORF" as a blank-delimited word
> or at the end of the beacon comment?  IMHO, there are far fewer -IS
> users who would NOT want to be gated that those that DO want to be
> gated, so why clutter the majority of the comments ON RF NO LESS
> (where bandwidth is most limited and packet contents are NOT allowed
> to be changed by IGates) with additional characters?

not a bad idea but you better run a test how large a range you can
suport on a 1200 baud channel without making it unusable for local
users, I'm afraid that it might be a very small range.
I have done a simular test a while ago to see how large a range I could
stream on 9k6, about 500 km gave a near 100% load.

73 Andre PE1RDW