[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 29 13:32:43 EST 2011

On 12/29/2011 12:15 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>> The Motorola radios all have GPS built in and feature
>> "caller ID" as well as text-messaging. I termed
>> MotoTrbo to my local club as "APRS on steroids."
>> There are some people working on aps that will grab the
>> GPS data sent by the radios and port it over to APRS.
> I want to hear more about this and particularly how we can crosslink the
> MotoTurbo texting with APRS texting!
>
> Bob, WB4APR

MotoTRBO is just a catchy trade name for the open-standards DMR (Digital Mobile
Radio) originally defined and documented by ETSI (European Telecommunications
Standards Institute).  The DMR standard provides for the transport of a 4800
bits/sec data stream, mostly used for digital voice, but often also used for
data as well.  The name MotoTRBO was  invented by Moto marketeers to create the
impression that this protocol is somehow unique to Motorola.

On the other hand, Moto's text messaging and GPS posits ARE proprietary
applications layered on top of the generic DMR 4800 bits-per-second data
stream.    There may be serious licensing/intellectual property issues
surrounding these formats if you reverse-engineer the data formats involved and
create non-Moto third party apps to decode this stuff.    [Thank the vile
Digital Millennium  Copyright Act (DCMA) for this situation that criminalizes
reverse-engineering software functionality, even if you then write completely
original "clean" code to achieve the same ends.]

However, I don't know the legalities of taking the data spewed out  of a
licensed Moto decode routine (figure on major bucks per radio for the
privilege) and then re-encoding it in an unrelated format such as APRS.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths