[aprssig] IS-to-RF packet Weighting

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Wed Dec 28 17:39:16 EST 2011

We found out early on that dupe checking alone is not sufficient.  It is very easy to introduce >30 second delays on RF as well as some Internet configurations.  IGates do not block loops.  Servers block loops that fall within their dupe windows.

The reason for the third-party packet requirement for gating to RF is to help servers and IGates block those packets from repropagating.  Also, the third-party packet tells an IGate what other IGates are on the frequency (no need to gate to RF a message destined for another IGate).  There is a reason for the specifications.  Deviations from those specs can be expected to cause issues.

This is not digipeating, it is gating which is significantly different.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net