[aprssig] IS-to-RF packet Weighting

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Wed Dec 28 18:11:19 EST 2011

True 30 seconds delays are to be expected but there is still the
checking for call in the digipath, the only way to defeat that loop
block is if someone runs a digipeater that strips out the used path,
when someone goes to that level of stupidety then there is nothing to
prevent a loop from forming and even then the loop would not go trough
the aprs-is but stay on rf and most likely die out there in one or 2
loops if it even makes it trough one loop, loops like that can and might
already be happening right now.

xband digipeaters have been in use as long as the first hf gates came on
aprs, the only difference is that now the hf channel is replaced with an
axudp link and the gate limiting is the otherway around, for hf gates
only a path with hfgate gets put trough to hf, in this case only a path
with the specific udp gate call gets gated trough. in essence only one
gate will ever gate the packet over to 2 meter, where with igates it can
and does happen that a message is gated by 2 or 3 igates because they
don't know what gate is going to send it along, all they know is if the
adress station of the message is local enough.

About the specs but I remember thet 3th party format was invented for
bob's ziplan concept long before the specs where put in place.
http://aprs.org/txt/zip-lan.txt
You could say aprsdos with ziplan was the orginal igate and loops back
then where no concern.

73 Andre PE1RDW