[aprssig] IS-to-RF gating... A proposal

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Wed Dec 28 16:02:55 EST 2011

Op 28-12-2011 21:40, Georg Lukas schreef:
> * Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)<ldeffenb at homeside.to>  [2011-12-28 16:49]:
>> I really don't see any need to impose new restrictions and
>> complexities on APRS-IS client software authors when the ultimate
>> decision is in the hands of the IGate operator.
> I agree completely.
>
>> KISS - Give a way for IGate operators to do more than the current
>> "gate all packets from these specific stations" and leave further
>> decisions up to them within the capability of the new tool.
> Yeah, I'm in on this as well!
>
>> PS.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_bucket and dream of
>> being able to apply it at a per station, per callsign, and per
>> interface level with independent settings for messages w/courtesy
>> posits vs "extra" posits for the local area...
> As Steve already wrote, it is probably impossible to upgrade the
> software on all IGates, and complicated filters/thresholds might exceed
> the power of some embedded TNCs. However, it is well possible to
> implement that logic as a proxy component, or even as a server-side
> filter comparable to r/ on an APRS-IS server.
>
> Then the IGate operator can set the igate firmware/software to forward
> anything from IS to RF, connect to the proxy/filter server with an
> appropriate configuration for reverse-igating and be set.
>

> 73 de Georg DO1GL
I have a rudamantory system working at my location right now, it acts
just like a xband digipeater using digined 0.4.0 cygwin version, agwpe
drives the radioports and xglue makes a axudp link to a second agwpe
connected to ui-view.

the digined digiend rule makes sure that all frames are transmitted to
the axudp port even if the path is already used up.
all I need to do if set the first digi in the digipath to the call of my
gateway and ui-view transmits out onto 144.800 trough axudp and the
digined software.

Now while you guys keep arguing and debating I'll go back to setup a
digined as a tier2 hub.

73 Andre PE1RDW