[aprssig] IS-to-RF gating... A proposal

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Dec 28 10:50:11 EST 2011

The only way to make this work without rewriting all IGates (impossible since most are not actively supported) is to run a separate program that looks at the traffic on the APRS-IS and decides what to transmit. When it finds a position it wants to put on its local RF network it can either send directly if it has a radio, or inject a message from the Internet station to a local but unmanned RF station into the APRS-IS, thereby having the local IGate do the heavy lifting of sending the courtesy posit along with the message. The down side of using the APRS-IS to force the posit is the message does go on RF, wasting local bandwidth. It does mean running this program in every local area, or at maybe writing a central one that users could configure for their own area. It would be a long time until this would be something people would expect to find in a given area.

And for those who aim to prevent new features based on potential for abuse, this program would certainly have that!

Steve