[aprssig] IS-to-RF gating... A proposal

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Dec 28 15:40:44 EST 2011

* Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <ldeffenb at homeside.to> [2011-12-28 16:49]:
> I really don't see any need to impose new restrictions and
> complexities on APRS-IS client software authors when the ultimate
> decision is in the hands of the IGate operator.

I agree completely.

> KISS - Give a way for IGate operators to do more than the current
> "gate all packets from these specific stations" and leave further
> decisions up to them within the capability of the new tool.

Yeah, I'm in on this as well!

> PS.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_bucket and dream of
> being able to apply it at a per station, per callsign, and per
> interface level with independent settings for messages w/courtesy
> posits vs "extra" posits for the local area...

As Steve already wrote, it is probably impossible to upgrade the
software on all IGates, and complicated filters/thresholds might exceed
the power of some embedded TNCs. However, it is well possible to
implement that logic as a proxy component, or even as a server-side
filter comparable to r/ on an APRS-IS server.

Then the IGate operator can set the igate firmware/software to forward
anything from IS to RF, connect to the proxy/filter server with an
appropriate configuration for reverse-igating and be set.

73 de Georg DO1GL
--
APRSdroid - Open Source APRS Client for Android ++ http://aprsdroid.org/m
     ++ https://market.android.com/details?id=org.aprsdroid.app ++