[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Dec 28 08:24:28 EST 2011

On 12/28/2011 8:15 AM, Steve Dimse wrote:
> Other than being run mostly by professionals, that sounds a lot like the Internet itself, which I guess is just the appearance of a network as you define it. Or maybe professionals make a real network and volunteers just make appearances?

IMHO networks provide various levels of packet inspection and routing
layers.  APRS-IS provides none of these, but is simply a transport that
"appears" to be a network simply because it has a lot of nodes (more
than 2).

Many people still believe that an APRS message destined for a specific
station is actually "delivered" to an appropriate IGate for transmission
to the intended recipient.  A network would do that, APRS-IS simply
transports the packet to anyone/everyone whose filter indicates a desire
to receive said packet.

I will grant that the "courtesy posit" that's under current discussion
is greater-than-transport, but not really network-like behavior, but I
still believe there's a vast difference between what a network is and
what APRS-IS is, and using the wrong name on anything triggers
preconceived notions in peoples' minds that may or may not be borne out
in reality.