[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Dec 28 08:15:18 EST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 7:32 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> The APRS-IS is a TRANSPORT.  Plain and simple.  APRS-IS doesn't do anything but shuffle packets from point A to point B.  Lots of interconnected servers run by volunteers expending there own $unknown/month generate the appearance that the APRS-IS is a network.

Other than being run mostly by professionals, that sounds a lot like the Internet itself, which I guess is just the appearance of a network as you define it. Or maybe professionals make a real network and volunteers just make appearances?

> PS.  Witness the number of IGate operators who, fearing for license abuses, turned off or switched their IGates to receive-only mode when the APRS-IS password algorithm was published

Must have missed when the network took a dive, as I recall those dim times ten years ago there were a lot of predictions of doom by the usual suspects but no significant change in the actual network.

And again, all the publication of the algorithm did was make people aware that there NEVER was, by design or by fact, any real security on the APRS IS. This is something some people just do not want spoken, even now. I don't think it is right to bury other people's heads in the sand. I think it is important that every iGate operator be aware of the risks they take by running their service. The fact that in its 15 year history there has not been a significant episode that would cause the FCC to take notice of the APRS IS, and certainly no action by the FCC, might make one feel a little better, but past performance is no guarantee of future returns.

Steve K4HG