[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Dec 28 08:44:08 EST 2011

On Dec 28, 2011, at 8:24 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> On 12/28/2011 8:15 AM, Steve Dimse wrote:
>> Other than being run mostly by professionals, that sounds a lot like the Internet itself, which I guess is just the appearance of a network as you define it. Or maybe professionals make a real network and volunteers just make appearances?
>
> IMHO networks provide various levels of packet inspection and routing layers.  APRS-IS provides none of these, but is simply a transport that "appears" to be a network simply because it has a lot of nodes (more than 2).

There is a use of the word network that predates anything remotely like what you are calling a network. Think NBC - they have a network that has absolutely nothing to do with "packet inspection and routing layers". I've searched several online dictionaries, and not one requires these for its definition of a network.

Besides, there is routing based on the filtering commands now in APRS IS, and there is certainly packet inspection - lines are only accepted into the network if they have the appearance of the text spit out by a TNC (to oversimplify callsign>destination:payload), and dup checking requires packet inspection.

> Many people still believe that an APRS message destined for a specific station is actually "delivered" to an appropriate IGate for transmission to the intended recipient.  A network would do that, APRS-IS simply transports the packet to anyone/everyone whose filter indicates a desire to receive said packet.

The NBC "network" delivers its programs to you 24/7, you filter out what you do not want by turning your TV off or tuning to another channel. I guess you should write NBC a message complaining about their use of "network" for the last 7 decades or more...

Steve K4HG