[aprssig] MGATES for IS-Mobiles

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Dec 27 19:55:26 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 2:39 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists wrote:

> I for one will not relinquish any type of control nor put into an IGate software any type of throttling as proposed since it puts in jeopardy both the APRS-IS and the RF networks.  As I said before, your intent is noble, the implementations proposed are not.  If they can afford a smartphone with a data plan, they can afford an HT and operate on RF just like the rest of us.  There is nothing special about someone who wants to dictate to another ham that their posits are "special" and deserve to be on their RF channel regardless of that other ham's opinions.

And they can always use a smart phone to interface to that RF device if
they want the visibility features of the smart phone client while
actively participating in the local RF network.

> I recommend you drop this concept.  You were right to begin with: only messages addressed to a "local" RF station and associated posits get gated to RF.  All other packets are ignored unless specifically enabled by the IGate operator.  No one should ever assume that just because they have a broken TOCALL (your suggestion causes us to not know what software is generating the packets and it does not adhere to your TOCALL standards), broken path (TCPIP* is the only "digi" allowed in the path on APRS-IS), or other abomination.  No amateur radio operator in the US can mandate to another amateur radio operator that they must transmit and that is what you are proposing.  An IGate operator makes a conscious choice regarding gating messages to RF or not (if not, they don't transmit from their IGate).  However, what you and the rest are proposing is that any "local" (easy to be "local" anywhere by setting a fixed position a long way from where you are) smartphone owner mandates that their packets get transmitted by another ham's station.

I concur.  Sending messages and a courtesy posit is, IMHO, a reasonable
thing for an IGate operator to enable.  Opening up his/her transmitter
to whatever the APRS-IS has to deliver via arbitrary ToCall assignments
is not.