[aprssig] MGATES for IS-Mobiles

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Dec 27 19:49:44 EST 2011

On 12/27/2011 1:48 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Topic:  How does a mobile-APP with IS-access get to be seen on the local RF
> net?
>
> OK, but there is no restriction on the TOCALL.  So I suggest then that the
> TOCALL for a mobile Phone/Tablet/Laptop client with direct APRS-IS access
> then could use the TOCALLs of MGATE0, or MGATE1 or MGATE2 based on the
> PROPORTIONAL PATHING sending algorithm for the every-1minute packet, for the
> every-other-2minute packet and for the every-other-4minute packet.

I'll have to take issue with this.  Currently the ToCall is the
application identifier which is about the only way we have to identify
the source of bad practice in the APRS-IS and APRS in general.  It IS
restricted per spec and http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

> So, This establishes the following concepts for APRS-IS packets with these
> TOCALLS:
>
> Mobile APRS APP - ORIGINATION RULES:
>
> MGATE0 - Originated no more often than once a minute
> MGATE1 - Originated no more often than once every other minute
> MGATE2 - Originated no more often than once every 4 minutes

And, when an APRS-IS app goes nuts with MGATEn ToCalls, how do we know
who to contact?  It's as bad as the thousands of stations transmitting
 >APRS.

> We have got to find a way to accept these mobile hams into the APRS-RF
> network as long as they do not generate any more traffic than a similar
> mobile on RF would generate.

The APRS-IS mobile hams WILL generate more traffic than a similar mobile
will, simply due to the fact that nearly everyone with a callphone is
capable of it whereas not nearly every ham purchases or outfits an
APRS-capable system.

I agree in principal that someone monitoring the local RF network should
have the opportunity to see most if not all of the local resources that
someone monitoring the APRS-IS would see for the similar area.  But I
still contend that such decisions should be up to the local IGate
operator and should NOT put any onus, responsibility, or trust for any
sort of sanity to come from APRS-IS-base client operations.  I just
don't have a good solid answer to the question of just what that local
IGate operator should have available to accomplish such -IS to RF gating.