[aprssig] MGATES for IS-Mobiles

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 17:02:18 EST 2011

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Eric Hansen <skyssx at gmail.com> wrote:

>>As I pointed out earlier, there is NO difference between someone running their >smartphone app in their phone holder and someone running an Internet client that is >unattended.
>
> There is no difference in someone remoting into their HF radio station
> while on vacation in Tahiti and pushing out position reports from a
> smartphone through the APRS-IS. Both are amateur radio when conducted
> by a licensed radio amateur as they can result in transmission of RF
> on amateur radio bands.

There is a difference.  In the remote station model, the network is
being used to access the radio - not the flow of information.  They
are responsible, under their own call, for generating the RF content
and maintaining control.

Folks with Inet clients can set up a home station of their own or use
their friends, to send their packets on the air.   Then the APRS-IS
Igates would pick up and handle the packets as any other RF station.
This is the IRLP model vs the Internet clients model of Echolink..

Bill - WA&NWP