[aprssig] MGATES for IS-Mobiles

Eric Lorenz K9LGE k9lge at emlorenz.com
Tue Dec 27 17:04:21 EST 2011

I have been watching this discussion, and holding my tongue for a long,
long time. I can do that no longer. (And I apologize in advance to Bob,
and others...I will not be nearly as civil as Bob was in his last
response to Pete)...

Pete, it is people with attitudes like yours that are going to drive
people OUT and AWAY from Ham Radio. Weither you like it or
not...technology is here to stay. Deal with it! As we move into the
future, I believe that those with attitudes like yours will (hopefully)
find themselves left on the sidelines. I happen to be a licensed Ham
operator who uses one of those smartphone apps. I cannot afford an RF-
mobile APRS solution right now, other than a 'dumb tracker' which out of
respect for Bob's vision for APRS I try to only use when I feel it is
appropriate ( in my case, SAG tracking at PS events). According to you,
I should just go pound sand and not play in someone elses sandbox if I
don't like it. Maybe you should! I am a responsible user of my Android
APRS app. I set my app up with beaconing rates similar to what I would
set on an RF mobile. And I use an app that I can send and receive
messages with.

How about instead of zipping up our little RF-only tent, we embrace the
technology...how about we concentrate on:

1) educating hams with these devices how to set them up PROPERLY so they
don't cause 'SPAM into the local RF channel...
and
2) then encourage MORE reverse I-Gating.

That's right, I said MORE. As far as I can tell there is not one I-Gate
in my area that reverse gates, so my signal is invisible. I am lucky
that I have a friend and mentor, Pat KC6VVT, that has seen the light and
setup an I-Gate with IS-to-RF. So I am seen, and can see others when I
am travelling through his area.

How about we EDUCATE, then WORK TOGETHER towards a solution, instead of
going RF only! RF only! You probably don't like Echolink, or DSTAR
either, do you?

Again...Technology is here to stay...DEAL WITH IT.

Eric K9LGE

(Bob, If I am due any slapping for my attitude, I fully accept it, but
stand behind everything I said).

--
Eric Lorenz
Communications Trailer Coordinator