[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 16:04:56 EST 2011

> Of course the one exception is when the SPAM is injected onto a local UHF channel separate fromt he APRS national input channel.  THen he can trash that channel all he wants.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Bob,

Have you seen the movie, "Second Hand Lions?"   The story has several
lessons, one of which is a whole new understanding and awareness of
advertising...   Which is somewhat related to your less than glowing
comments about the value of information gated to RF.   Here in the PNW
where we have a fine tuned UHF APRS system, the additional traffic
injected to the channel make it far more interesting and informative
than simply watching the misconfigured beacons and dumb trackers on
the far too cluttered main 144.39 APRS channel.   6 meter DX spots and
openings, quakes, local Winlink and IRLP/Echolink stations,
Satellites,  DStar nodes, even some special calls (STEAM, WB4APR*)
etc.  It's all there at a  rate just right for human consumption on a
dashboard display...   It's all a matter of intelligently making use
of the bandwidth available - and carefully utilizing more bandwidth
when needed.

73
Bill - WA7NWP