[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 26 12:32:47 EST 2011

> Of course an igate operator has to decide
> how much traffic he is going to allow to pass
> from IS to RF. It is his direct responsibility
> after all.

I haved not been following this, but I dont like what I am seeing.  The only packets that go from IS to RF are:

1) Messages addressed to someone in RF range
2) ACKS back to someone in RF range
3) A courtesy position for the distant station when such messages are passed.

Any other release of SPAM from the IS to RF in an area on the APRS channel is considered bad practice (generally).  Because anywhere that exceptiosn have been allowed, the result is a degradation of the local channel by unwanted out-of-area SPAM that blocks local RF traffic.  It only takes one un-informed Igate operator to spoil an area and make APRS virtually useless for the RF users.

Exceptions of course are allowed at the discretion of the IGate operator, but unfortunately, since just about anyone can be an IGate operator and without full understanding of what he is doing, can destroy local APRS RF channels.

Of course the one exception is when the SPAM is injected onto a local UHF channel separate fromt he APRS national input channel.  THen he can trash that channel all he wants.

Bob, WB4APR