[aprssig] APRS on Bernuda and Atlantic

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Dec 18 13:13:15 EST 2011

Lots of good suggestios...

> a couple of VHF receivers and TNCs (for 144.39
> and 144.80), a splitter and antenna... and an RJ-45
> interface to their Internet might be acceptable.

> We could pass the hat and buy them a D710.

Yes, the D710 with a KPC-9612 could hear on one serial port both 1200 and 9600 baud data.  Plus 1200 on the other channel.

> Not sure what drives the requirement for a government
> facility.   Could we reach out to VP9MU or other VP9?

Im thinking I can make this a Naval Academy Student Project for some of our satellite projects, to get a ground station on such critical islands.  A navy or FAA facility might be easier to deal with.

Im thinking an OMNI antenna only.  No moving parts, not even hard disks.  Monitors 144.39 1200 baud and 145.825 for both 1200 and 9600.  No need to monitor the european frequency since balloons dont go west.

Thsi wouild be ideal for most APRS satellites that downlink on 145.825.

I'd want it to be a black box, with power cord, antenna connector and RJ-45 internet connector and maybe some status LED's for remote troubleshooting.  But everything else is done over the internet.

Bob, Wb4APR