[aprssig] APRS on Bernuda and Atlantic

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 18 10:44:41 EST 2011

I was about to make the same comment, based on those from a friend who
works (as a musician) on one such ship, and had access to the "company"
channel.  Even that was mind numbingly expensive, almost pence / bit
costs for crew members.

Making sure a licened ham is on the crew list (licensing issues depending
where it docks etc) might be an issue too.

Plus, the slowness of it all (Satellites used) and you think there is a
problem with delayed packets on dry land!...

A better bet (perhaps) for some of these events, is a VHF to HF gate,
with settings to only pass what's of interest, i.e.  Not the usual
rabble.

Someone also made a comment about switching APRS frequency based on
Longitude.  That would help too.

Also, I think it was the same person, how about a selective digi on the
ISS (or other yet-to-be-launched bird?)

73

Dave G0WBX.