[aprssig] APRS talk in Los Alamos?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 31 14:25:23 EDT 2011

>> The recommendation to use W2-2...

> Please don't beacon "Use W2-2"...  People will enter
> exactly that on non-Kenwood rigs or S/W and create a mess.
> Spell it out:  Beacon "Use WIDE2-2" for those areas.

I understand your point, but I think there are several points that should
mitigate any problems:

1) The goal here is Standardization (see #2)
2) Which then fully embraces EDUCATION (See #1)
3) We already use "W2" as the code to tell users to use 2 hops in the area
4) We had used "W2, SSn-N. ..." to fit in the 10 byte radio line display
5) The new "W2-2 SSn-N..." still fits in the 10 byte window.
6) If a user puts in exactly "W2-2" as a path then his packets go now where
and so he is only a QRM source to his surrounding vew miles and eventually
he will learn it does not work.

And finally, this can be used as a good time to get out and get ALL the
digis updated and then an initiative to EDUCATE.

By the way, in those areas where W1-1 is not receomended due to the KPC3 8.2
DUPE problem this does not preclude putting up a local fill-in digi using
any-ol' TNC and simply setting its alias to "WIDE2-2".  It will at least
provide local coverage in its own footprint to passing W2-2 mobiles (though
the packet will go no further).

I hope that calms your fears?
Bob, Wb4APR