[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Robert Carleton rbc at rbcarleton.com
Thu Apr 28 00:19:24 EDT 2011

Even the ARRL doesn't advocate operating codes on voice, mostly CW, but also digital in general.  In my own ARES group all of the voice work is plain language and I agree that it should be that way.  In my case, I'm just using the codes for "paging" prior to a voice net.  The operating codes just make for less typing on DTMF keyboards and aren't really a stakeholder facing communication.  Additionally the standardized and published codes also easily meet the FCC requirement for not using "secret" codes on the air.  That's my spin.

Best,

			--Bruce