[aprssig] APRS Messages and Operating Codes (Q & Z)

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:55:16 EDT 2011

    Hate to rain on anyone's parade but all the ARES training today says to
eliminate the use of codes and jargon in the interest of inter-agency
operability. Only plain text is encouraged.

    While I don't necessarily agree with this, I do understand the logic.
There is enough redundancy in the English language that if a character is
mangled we can still probably figure it out anyhow. But if a shorthand term
is used a mangled character may change the whole meaning.

73,
Al, K9SI

<snip>
> Wow, I just looked at ACP-131 and am amazed that there are nearly 200
> pages
> of Qxx and Zxx codes.  Lots more than the QRZ,QRM,QSY and QTH we hear
> often...  Such a means of encoding would certainly work well if the tables
> are built into APRS, but otherwise I cant imagine getting a QXP signal and
> without a book, knowing what to do with it.
>
> I'm posting this on the APRSSIG to see what experience others have with
> the
> ACP-131 Q and Z codes.
>
> Bob, WB4APR
<snip>