[aprssig] noam.aprs2.net

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Thu Apr 7 23:58:07 EDT 2011

I have three IRLP nodes running the APRS IRLP status script. All
were set to connect to noam.aprs2.net:14580 to send their objects.
I just noticed that one of the nodes wasn't showing up on my map.
Checking at aprs.fi, node an object from IRLP node 2010 had last
been heard April 07 2011 at 06:07:09 UTC. I know the node was
still operational, and I had been continuously connected with SSH.

I tried changing the server from noam.aprs2.net to rotate.aprs2.net
and forced a beacon and it still didn't show up. I then changed it to
vancouver.aprs2.net and it showed up right away. The two other
nodes that I look after are set to use noam.aprs.net and connecting OK.

I was wondering if there was a DNS thing going on, but the node
(embedded) doesn't have dig installed. I tried and it could ping
noam.aprs.net getting a response from sea2.haywardwebdesign.com
at 209.160.51.21 so it doesn't appear to be a DNS problem. As well
as the two other nodes, I'm also using noam.aprs2.net:14580 in
UI-View and I just forced a disconnect & a reconnect, and didn't
have any trouble reconnecting.

I'm up and running with vancouver.aprs2.net, but I was curious
why the object wasn't working (didn't make it to the APRS-IS) with
noam.aprs2.net and the "rotate" one that I tried temporarily. Most
of this was typed much earlier today. I tried "noam" again and it
still didn't work from node 2010.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH