[aprssig] Curious about bogus packets on Findu

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Sep 30 17:08:33 EDT 2010

  On 9/30/2010 1:47 PM, Steve Noskowicz wrote:

> Perhaps it's time for a reset-&-reload-fest.  Hmmm...I never had to replace the battery either...
>
> Steve, K9DCI

Again, I have found that one can recover from lockups and generally flaky
behavior in D700s by using the "VFO Reset" function.   In the menu system,
select "Radio, Aux, Reset, VFO Reset" .  You DON'T lose anything stored in
frequency memories or in PM memories, but it does re-initialize the
processor.     Just do the VFO reset and then load a PM to restore normal
operation in just seconds.      I've done it many many times to recover from
laptop-crash-induced or USB<-->serial-dongle-induced  lockups on the Interstate
at 70 MPH!

Another 700 bug (is there any end to them????) I have observed that creates
hyper-jumps is switching to standalone "APRS" operation after several hours
(and hundreds of miles) of operation in "PACKET" mode with a computer.
(Running with UIview mobile, the radio's internal beaconing is disabled; posits
are formatted and set to the radio by UIview itself.)

Apparently the D700 caches the last GPS value transmitted during standalone
operation.  When you exit the computer/Packet mode, the first beacon in APRS
mode will the location where APRS mode was previously stopped; i.e. hundreds of
miles behind you!       Cycling the radio off and then back on (or reloading a
PM) clears this, but it will create a hyper-jump on findu. On the other hand,
APRS.fi, with it's rejection of outlandish posits, is unaffected by this bug.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====