[aprssig] Xastir v2.0.0 has been released

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Oct 27 14:45:58 EDT 2010

Curt WE7U wrote...

> Set "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" for PATH 1. Or perhaps "WIDE2-2". You can
> leave Path 2 and 3 empty. Xastir will round-robin per transmission
> among any filled-in entries for the three paths for your own posits.

Actually, fixed stations (and anything that flies more than knap of the earth)
shouldn't use WIDE1-1 at all. Only mobile stations should make use of
fill-in digis. It would be pretty rare for a fixed station to not be able to
hit a WIDEn-N digi, unless they are out in the boonies where there just
isn't any coverage at all, and it would be pretty rare to have an IGate that
couldn't hear, and be heard by, one or more WIDEn-N digis. Basically,
fixed stations usually don't have power constraints and more than likely
have better antennas than mobile stations, and they aren't dealing with
fades and changing multi-path.

Of course, the "rule" about fixed stations not using WIDE1-1 is more
important when the station is on a hilltop, and even more important when
they are surrounded with a bunch of fill-in digis. If they are on a hilltop
there are a whole bunch of fill-in digis in the valleys around them, you
are almost 100% guaranteed that they can hit the same WIDEn-N digis
that the fill-in digis can hit. It is also more important in more populated
areas where conserving bandwidth is more of an issue.

> the best place to get help for Xastir.

That may be true for Xastir specific questions, but it is perhaps a good
idea that it was brought it up here because the question was about the
use of paths. By all means feel free to cross-post my suggestion on the
Xastir list.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH