[aprssig] Xastir v2.0.0 has been released

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 15:21:05 EDT 2010

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Keith VE7GDH wrote:

> Actually, fixed stations (and anything that flies more than knap of the
> earth)
> shouldn't use WIDE1-1 at all. Only mobile stations should make use of
> fill-in digis. It would be pretty rare for a fixed station to not be able to
> hit a WIDEn-N digi, unless they are out in the boonies where there just
> isn't any coverage at all, and it would be pretty rare to have an IGate that
> couldn't hear, and be heard by, one or more WIDEn-N digis. Basically,
> fixed stations usually don't have power constraints and more than likely
> have better antennas than mobile stations, and they aren't dealing with
> fades and changing multi-path.
>
> Of course, the "rule" about fixed stations not using WIDE1-1 is more
> important when the station is on a hilltop, and even more important when
> they are surrounded with a bunch of fill-in digis. If they are on a hilltop
> there are a whole bunch of fill-in digis in the valleys around them, you
> are almost 100% guaranteed that they can hit the same WIDEn-N digis
> that the fill-in digis can hit. It is also more important in more populated
> areas where conserving bandwidth is more of an issue.

Agreed.  I used to live in a place where I had difficulty getting
out at all (in the mountains, at -450ft HAAT.  Yes, that's a minus
sign).  Depending on my propagation on 2m/220 and which
multipath/knife-edge diffraction was working for or against me at
that instant, I sometimes needed help to get out to the WIDEn-N
digis.  Ordinarily that's not needed, so use WIDE2-2 for PATH 1.