[aprssig] aprs.fi bookmarks video, and web location sharing

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Tue Oct 12 03:18:21 EDT 2010

On Sunday I made a video demonstrating the new bookmarks feature on
aprs.fi, and uploaded it to Youtube. Feedback appreciated (maybe off-line
using direct email instead of this mailing list). Should I invest time in
making more of these for other features? Is it progressing too fast or too
slow? Is the language understandable? Waste of time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4UA77fnIok

This might also be news to some: The aprs.fi site also allows you to
upload your position to the site directly from a web browser, if the web
browser somehow knows where you are. This works great on mobile phones
with GPS, such as the iPhone and many new Android phones from multiple
vendors (HTC, Motorola, Samsung, LG...). Some browsers figure their
position pretty accurately based on nearby WLAN hotspots using a wifi
hotspot coordinate database provided by Google. No application
installation or purchase necessary!

The position is not transmitted to the APRS-IS, so it can be used by
non-amateurs too without risking the licensing of transmitting igates (and
without me having to worry about how to possibly identify licensed
amateurs from non-hams). The web station names can also be longer and they
are not restricted to ASCII characters - international characters are just
fine. Some 400 users have already successfully used this feature on
various devices.

Instructions here:

http://blog.aprs.fi/2010/08/web-location-uploads-better-iphone.html

   - Hessu